Green Engineering Jobs the Careers, News & Information Centre for the Renewable Energy & Environmental Industries
Go To HOME PAGE
Wind by Country,
Small Wind Co's,
Wind Tech Explained.
Companies with over 1000MW wind
- Acciona-ANA on MC (Madrid), 2006 bought see EHN, now is worlds #1 or #2 windfarm co (FPL other #1 or #2) with approx. 154 windfarms and 4122MW; 2006 building the Amherst Nova Scotia windfarm 50/50 with Wind Dynamics. takes over EHN's jv's with Suncor and Enbridge in Canada. Holdings in see Endesa 19.63%. builds +1740 AW-1500 turbines/year, also has an AW-3000 3MW turbine.
- AES- AES on NYSE, large power co includes nuclear, invested in US Windforce -fastest growing wind developer in US, +365MW planned on +5 projects in Maryland/West Virginia/Pennsylvania. January 2005- buys SeaWest Holdings- 500 MW wind + 120 MW Buffalo Gap in Texas under construction, 2750 MW of projects in development, 350 MW NY Windfarm with Acciona planned. Wind project in Panama. 04/2006 create Alternative Energy Group- to invest $1 Billion over 3 years on AE businesses (to triple investment in Wind generation in next 3 years), buys Wind Energy of Scotland, 640MW portfolio of projects none running.
- Babcock + Brown Wind Partners-BBW on ASX, Oct 05 IPO on ASX, ISIN AU000000BNB2, B4U or WKN AOHGPX on FSE, BBWPF on OTC; specialized investment fund focused on wind. has +31 (Oct 05) windfarms-1600MW in Europe, North America, Australia, Spain; world #4 end 2005, dramatic growth from 450MW in 2004. 2006 offer to purchase underway for see RENERCO AG, 2006 bought Portugese developer Enersis with 620MW in production or construction and 360MW in planning stage. agreement with see Plambeck for 30 onshore turnkey windfarms-300MW. 2006 bought Ostwind International from Ostwind-Gruppe- 22MW windparks in north France, mid 2007 on grid.
- BP- BP on NYSE, bought Orion Energy with 1300MW wind and 30 projects-6000MW. 22.5MW windfarm near Rotterdam with BP-69%, ChevronTexaco-31%. see also solar. 11/2005 launches alternative energy division to invest $8 Billion over 10 years. mapping out 2000MW construction, to hire several hundred staff. $60M into wind using Clipper Liberty 2.5MW turbines. August 2006 buys GreenLight Energy with 39 windparks- 6500MW planned for $98M.
- British Energy- BGY on LSE, vision statement is "to be the world's leading nuclear energy company", inherited one turbine, Huron Wind, when bought out nuclear plants in Canada. Now has a 500MW expansion planned for Huron Wind, also planning a 702MW X 234 turbines project off of the Isle of Lewis, Scotland (AMEC to be the engineering firm), also created Offshore Wind Power Ltd., a j.v. with Renewable Energy Systems (1100 MW in US, Europe, Asia, & Caribbean).
- China Datang Corp Renewable Pwr Co CNY1.00 'H' Share-1798 on HKSE, RE division of China's 2nd largest power co. wind.
- China Longyuan Power Group Co Ltd-00916 on HKSE, China's largest alternative energy developer, Dec 09 operates 64 wind power companies.
- China Suntien Green Energy Corp-0956 on HKSE, Oct 2010 IPO, nat gas and windfarms in northern China.
- EDF-EEN on Euronext Paris, Jan 07 IPO, 789MW in France, Greece, Italy. 50% subsidiary of EDF Group. also solar and solar thermal. member of e8.
- EDP-EDP ADRs on NYSE, EDPAE on ELI Lisbon,-Energias de Portugal, March 2007 buys wind farm developer Horizon Wind Energy from see-Goldman Sachs March 2007. EDP subsidiary NEO- Novas Energias do Ocidente SA is EDPs 100% owned subsidiary for RE business. NEO has 132MW in Spain. Dec 2006 EDP buys Agrupacion Eolica, 155MW operating in France + Spain, 52MW under construction, 992MW in development, =1199MW total. see also-EDP Energias do Brasil SA.
- EDP Renovaveis SA, EDPR on Lisbon, IPO in 2008, renewables arm of see-EDP.
- EHN- Energia Hidroelectrica de Navarra- bought out by see Acciona in 2006. -was on IBEX 35. - huge windpark designer and builder from Navarone Province of Spain (of Pamplona Bull Run fame- & now 1st area anywhere to go basically energy independent due to huge windfarms) -formerly a 50% owner of EEE- Energias Eolicas Europeas with Iberdrola. in North American market has a JV agreement with Suncor- 30 MW Magrath windfarm for starters. opens Turbinas Eolicas factory for wind generators. 66 MW Cathedral Rocks with Hydro Tasmania & see CPL. makes Ingetur IT77/1.5MW turbines. end 2005 had built 82 windparks, 2590MW, in 7 countries, amounting to 5% of the worlds wind power. also into solar.
- Elecnor- ENOR on Madrid (floor), ELEC on Barcelona, Large Spanish electric co. j.v. with Endesa for Argentine wind project. jv for 608MW in Valencia Spain in development. 4 windfarms to be developed in Burgos, Spain. doing feasibility studies, site identification, wind resource assessment in Taytay Palauan, Philippines. Osario Wind Farm in Brasil phase 1 complete- first windfarm in South America. jv with Endesa in 3000MW Cape Trafalgar Marine Wind Consortium.
- ENDESA- ELE on NYSE, ELE on Madrid, WKN871028 on FSE, windparks in Aregon and Asturias in N. Spain, 1,135MW wind in 2004, 20% of Spains wind power generation. j.v. with Elecnor in Argentine wind project. 10/6/03 sold MADE- Made Technologias Renovables, builder of turbines, to Gamesa. 500MW, 18 windfarms in Valencia. wants to invest 2.1 Billion Euro to build 19,000+ MW of wind/hydro/biomass by 2009. jv with Elecnor Group in 3000MW Cape Trafalgar Marine Wind Consortium. bought 7 new windfarms in Italy from Gamesa. 22.5 B Euro Hostile takeover attempt started Sept 8 2005 by Gas Natural of Spain in an attempt to gain a renewables business mix. 2006 see Acciona buys 9.63% of Endesa to bring holdings in Endesa to 19.63%. 10MW Lehancort Windfarm, 1st of 5 in France.
- ENEL- ENEL.MI on Borsa Italiana MIB, ENEL on Xetra, EN on NYSE- Worlds largest publically listed utility co. 56,000MW, 29 Million customers, has 1700 MW renewables including 4 windparks. Erga SpA, builds turbines. see also Enel North America- formerly CHI Energy Inc., Nov. 2002 orders 188 MW from Gamesa. 250MW Smoking Hills Project in Kansas, 27MW St. Lawrence Project in Newfoundland. member of e8.
- EUROS Energy Holdings- one of world's largest windfarm builders with 1019MW March 2005, jv of see-Tomen Corp and see-TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Co), to build 30MW windfarm in Thailand with see-PTT, see-EGCO, and Wegco.
- FPL Energy LLC- subsidiary of FPL Group Ltd., FPL on NYSE, end 2005 was world's largest (tied with Iberdrola) installed wind power co with 3260MW. biggest wind co in USA- 26 windfarms/ over 1500MW. 2007-FPL and Texas College to train wind engineers. see also solar.
- Hidroelectrica Cantabrico- HC on Madrid MC, 1,383MW in 6 projects. share buyback in 2002. 2006-49.3MW Rio do Fogo wind project in Brazil- Brazil's first.
- Huadian Power International Corporation Ltd-1071 on HKSE, huge power co including wind.
- Iberdrola- IBE.MC on Madrid MC-Mercado Continuo, WKN 851357 on Xetra, ISIN ES0144580018, World's largest installed wind power co as of end 2005 (tied with FPL) with 3260MW; 2004 was also #1 with 2965MW -106 Windfarms. plans for 5500MW by 2008, 10,000MW by 2011 -Spains' 2nd largest electrical utility, doing interesting things in Navarra. Formerly 50% owner of EEE- now 100%-a builder of large wind farms in Spain. JV with Gamesa- buys 8 windparks from Gamesa. Subsidiary IbeRenova will concentrate on projects in Brazil and Nicaragua. also has 132 hydro plants producing 12,407MW. 2006 enters US market with purchase of Community Energy Inc.-Pennsylvania wind energy marketing and development co. 2007 buys CPV Wind Ventures with 3500MW in 15 States.
- Iberdrola Renovables SA-IBR on MCE, December 2007 IPO, subsidiary of Iberdrola SA, 7,342MW installed wind. #1 in 2007. 2007 acquired see-Scottish Power's 1.4GW operating windfarms in US,UK,Ireland.
- Innogy Holdings - bought by RWE, delisted from London, Large power company in Britain, 6% of power produced by subsidiary National Wind Power Plc., also 300MW in USA.
- Marubeni Corp- Local code 8002 on TSE, WKN 860414, symbol MARA, ISIN JP3877600001 on ETR,FSE,BER,MUN,DUS, MARUF.PK on OTC; 2000MW generating power, 500MW renewables. jv with Gamesa and J-Power. jv with J-Power bought 64MW windfarms in Spain, participates in S. Korea's first windfarm, a 40MW farm by Unison and second 98MW Gangwon Windfarm-09/2006 online. jv w/ Catamount on 50MW Glebe Mountain in US. 43% of JMD Greenhouse Gas Reduction Co Ltd-windfarms and 40 Million tonne HFC23 Juhua (China) CDM project.
- Mesa Power LLP-T.Boone Pickens Plan.
- RWE-WKN 703712 on Xetra, large German power co, has nuclear, has large windpower holdings via npowerrenewables, + 250MW of windfarms via see Harpen in Germany + AERSA in Spain, +planning, construction, infrastructure used in windpark systems, windpark packages for networks via RWE Solutions AG. building windfarm in France with see Total, video of construction of Ffynnon Oer Wind Farm on website.- see also solar, ocean. member of e8.
- Scottish Power Plc- SPW on London, SPI on NYSE, 1600MW windpower via PPM Energy- 500MW in Eastern US, planned windfarm at Port Alice, Vancouver Island, BC., also windfarms on land and offshore in UK. member of e8. 2007 sold 1.4GW operating windfarms in US,Uk,Ireland to see-Iberdrola Renovables.
- Scottish + Southern Energy- SSE on LSE, SCT on BER, transmission lines, UK's largest RE generator. recently bought 75% of Solar Century. has Europes largest onshore windfarm 140 turbines-322MW Whitelee south of Glasgow.
- Shell-RDS.A and RDS.B on London, ADR's on NYSE, Royal Dutch Shell, a top ten windfarm asset owner; years ago built Blyth Offshore Wind Ltd project-(first offshore turbines in world), 2006-has 740MW in Europe + USA, 2006- developing NoordzeeWind, 108MW Egmond aan Zee Offshore Windfarm with Nuon, and London Array, a 1000MW UK offshore project with E.ON AG + CORE Ltd, and the 102MW Libron Project, offshore France with La Compagne du Vent., exploring wind in China; Cutter project in North Sea is 1st offshore gas field to be powered by wind & solar. 40MW Auwahi Wind Project on Maui (20% of Maui's energy). also big in solar. 2007- TXU subsidiary Luminant has jv with Shell to build 3000MW wind farm in Texas Panhandle.
- Suez-SZE on NYSE, parent co of Suez Energy North America which bought Ventus Energy of Canada in 2007.
- Tokyo Electric Power Co-9501 on TSE, 1 wind plant, 160 hydro, 26 coal, 3 nuclear. Subsidiary see-Euros Energy, a jv with see-Tomen, has approx 2000 turbines in 5 countries. member of e8. to build 18.4MW wind farm by end 2011.
- Tomen Corp- Code 8003 on TSE, largest windfarm builder in Japan, jv with Tokyo Electric Power Corp called Euros Energy Japan Corp has March 05- 9 windfarms in Japan, 184MW, and 1,881 turbines at 18 locations in 4 countries, 1019MW. April 1, 2006 merged with see Toyota Tshusko Corp.
- Toyota Tsusko Corp-8015 on TSE, subs of Toyota. April 2006 merger with Tomen Corporation- largest windfarm builder in Japan, also windfarms in Korea, and USA.
- TransAlta Corporation- TA on TSX, NYSE; Large coal/wind power + transmission line co, Bought VisionQuest Windelectric of Calgary in 2002- 1996-44MW Castle River, 2003-50% of 75MW McBride Lake, 2004-68MW Summerview. ~3.7% power from RE-wind and geothermal, also has hydro and major power is coal. July 2007 buys 21MW Fairfield Hill Wind Prospect in New Brunswick from see-Canadian Hydro Developers
- TXU- TXU on NYSE, large power marketing firm, 240MW wind in Texas with Cielo, (j.v. in La Muela 99MW wind farms in Spain with (see)BVT (30%), and (see)Umweltkontor (26%) sold to Shell). largest purchaser of windpower in Texas (7 projects, 120,000 homes). 2007- subsidiary Luminant jv with Shell to build 3000MW wind farm in Texas Panhandle.
- Xinjiang Goldwind Sci + Tech Co Ltd-002202 on SHE, Dec 2007 IPO, turbine maker based in Urumqi, Xinjiang, PRC. 600kW, 750kW, 1.2MW, 1.5MW turbines, transport, wind farm construction. buys 70% of Vensys Energy April 2008 (direct drive turbines).
Wind Farms with High-capacity Battery Storage
Utilities with less than 1000MW wind
- Alliant Energy- LNT on NYSE, 450MW wind/550MW RE, 10% of total. subs. Wisconsin Power + Light has 100MW in Iowa + Wisconsin.
- American Electric Power- AEP on NYSE, At 38,000MW and 7 million customers is Americas largest generator of electricity. owns 310MW wind projects. has wind project in Galapagos Islands. member of e8.
- Areva-CIE on EPA (Paris)- huge co, nuclear focus, nuclear waste disposal issues, 40 countries, has Jeumont 750kW wind turbine, 2006 bought 21% of see REpower, 2007 bidding war with Suzlon for REpower-after bidding war entered a voting-pool-agreement with see-Suzlon. 2008 is using 400MW (80X5MW- $500M) Multibrid (see-Prokon) for Borkum West II offshore windfarm. June 2008-has sold minority interest in REpower, owns majority interest in see-Multibrid.
- Ayen Enerji AS-AYEN on IST (Istanbul), power co-2 hydro, 2 windfarms-Caypinar + Korkmaz, also forest replanting
- Bashkirenergo OAO-BEGY on RTC, large power co with 1Xdistrict heating plant, 11Xcoal, hydro, 1Xwind.
- BF Utilities-532430 on BSE, utility co, 51 turbines @ 230kW + 11 turbines @ 600kW = 18MW of wind since 1998. uses Enercon turbines
- Catamount Energy- subsidiary of Central Vermont Public Service-CV on NYSE (has nuclear), Catenergy has 2 windfarms in Germany, 1 in Texas, jv w/ Marubeni at 50MW Glebe Mountain, jv w/ Stadtkraft of Norway for UK windfarm development.
- CEZ as-BAACEZ on PRG -Prague, power co with 12 hydro, 2 nuclear, 1 windfarm, 1 solar park.
- CPFL-CPL on NYSE, CPFE3 on SAO, FKZ on FSE, Brazil co, 1,700MW power plants including thermal, hydro, biomass, and 7Xwindfarms.
- China Resources Power Holdings Co Ltd-0836 on HKSE, many large power plants. Feb 06 bought 26MW Shanton Dan Nan Wind Power Co Ltd from see-Nuon, also has 55% in 24MW Dan Nan Wind Plant.
- China Shenhua Energy Co Ltd, no web, code 1088 on HKSE, very large coal energy co, new subsidiary Guohua Xilinguole New Energy and Source Co Ltd planning in 2006 a M$37.4 Guohua Inner Mongolia Windfarm. ( using Suzlon turbines).
- CLP Holdings Limited-code 002 on HKSE, ADR's on NYSE, holding co for CLP Group- China Light and Power, which in 2005 created CLP Renewables, committed to generating 5% of total capacity from RE by 2010. 214MW in 2006 (1.8% of total); 50/50 jv partner in Roaring 40s Renewable Energy Pty Ltd with Hydro Tasmania- which owns 100% of 65MW Woolnorth Bluff Point in Tasmania, 50% of 66MW Cathedral Rocks in South Australia, 49% in 49.3MW Shuangliao windfarm in Jilin province China jv with China Datong Jilin Power Generation.
- Companhia Electricidade Estado do Bahia-CEEBS on SAO Sao Paulo, S. America's first wind turbines in north Brasil.
- Duke Energy-DUK on NYSE, Large oil/power co, bought Tierra Energy- Texas wind power developer.
- EDP Energias do Brasil-ENBR3 on San Paulo Bovesta Novo Mercado, 2005 IPO, member of see-EDP Group of Portugal (which has recently bought two windfarm developers so look for some windfarm news from South America sometime soon)
- EGCO-EGCO on Bangkok, Electricity Generating PLC, to build 30MW windfarm with see-PTT, Wegco, and see-EUROS in south Thailand.
- Electric Power Development Co-9513 on TSE, Japan power co with some wind.
- Emera Inc- EMA on TSX, power producer, retailer in Nova Scotia, gas pipelines, owns
- NS Power Holdings Incorporated-large hydro plus has 100MW wind power under contract. 5 offshore turbines planned. Has also 20 MWAnnapolis tidal power generator.
- Energiedienst Holding AG-EDHN on SWF, electricity retailer in Switzerland offering Naturenergie Silber-hydro and Naturenergie Gold-hydro/sun/wind.
- Enersis- ENI on NYSE, XENI on Madrid (Latibex), NER on Frankfurt. Chile and South America power co, wind energy projects.
- EVN AG-EVN on FSE, Austria co with 7 windparks, 62 small hydro, 3 gas fired power plants, 1693MW total. .
- Exelon Corp- EXC on NYSE, large US power producer, 4800MW, nuclear, hydro and wind- Mill Run, Somerseet, Moosic Mountain wind farms, bought Peco Energy.
- GCL-Poly Energy Holdings Ltd.- 3800 on HKSE, has coal, co-gen, see-solar polysilicon production, and wind-March 2008 Xilingol Guotai Wind Power Generation Co Ltd.
- Hokkaido Electric Power Co-9509 on TSE, 5% of power from wind turbines.
- International Power Plc -IPR on LSE, large power co, has 400MW wind.
- Kansai Electric Power Co-9503 on TSE, new green roofs tech, also 20.6% stake in EcoPower Co. Ltd (a subsidiary of see Ebara Corp)- 103MW wind power in 2004 (20% of Japanese market). member of e8.
- NESA AS-NESA on CPH, Danish co active in power market, wind turbines in Denmark, Sweden, Greece, and Spain.
- Okinawa Electric Power Company- Code 9511 on TSE, has 2 X 1MW Gushikawa Power Station.
- Public Power Corp S.A.-PPC on Athens, large power co in Greece, hydro, coal, 21 wind farms, 5 solar parks on islands.
- Puget Energy-PSD on NYSE, utility holding co, 09/2005 acquires WildHorse wind project in Washington State.
- Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding Plc- RATCH on Bangkok, large power co., 35% of 60MW wind in Khao Kho, Phetchabun Province for 2011.
- Sechilienne-Sidec-SECH on Euronext Paris, co-gen, Martinique, Haute Lys windfarm in northern France.
- Societe Electrique Del'Our SA-7475 on LUX, hydro and wind in Luxemburg.
- Taipower-9963 on Taiwan Stock Exchange- Taiwan Power Co. large power co with some turbines, operational in 2004.
- Trust Power-TPW on NZE, power co with 34 hydro, + windfarms, Tararua windfarm, Otago windfarm
- Unit Energy Europe AG- WKN 776010 on FSE, 2 windfarms, 15 hydro projects, in Italy/Czech/UK/Gibraltar/Georgia, green power reseller. also has hydro. formerly WRE AG.
- Vietnam Wind-Power Joint-Stock Co-VWP.,JSC on HST, 0.9MW Do Son Beach, Hai Phong City, 50.4MW Phuong Mai 3, 15MW Phuong Mai, Binh Dinh Province, 20MW Pha Rung, Hai Phou. Vestas + NEG turbines.
- Westar Energy Inc.-WR on NYSE, 669,000 customers in Kansas, 3X windfarms, 300MW total, + 200MW by 2010.
- Wisconsin Energy- WEC on NYSE, large power co, has two wind turbines.
- XCEL Energy- XEL on NYSE, large power co, buys windpower from Cielo Wind Power LLC and Padoma Wind Power LLC.
100% Wind/RE Companies/WindFarm Builders/Owners/Operators
- Aerowatt-MLWAT on EPA Paris, Nov 06 IPO, 18 windfarms-280 turbines, France, Guadaloupe, Martinique, La Reunion, New Caledonia.
- Air Energy S.A.-AIR on EBR, ISIN: BE0003865822, builds and operates windparks, 3 in Belgium + 4 under construction, Dutch utility Eneco buys 71% on March 27, 2008.
- Asset@Logistic AG- WKN 549192 in Germany, builder of windfarms- 80MW 54 turbine Almeria windfarm in Andalusia Spain.
- Boralex Inc.-BLX on TSX, 325MW wind + hydro including in 100MW in France- St Agreve, Massif Central, Plouguin, (2005-81MW in France (2004-24MW)- 12MW (6X2) Nibas Windfarm, 10 MW Chepy Windfarm, 57MW - 26 turbines at Plateau d'Ally and 12 turbines at Plateau of Cham de Cham Longe Windfarm in Arignonet-Lauragais France with Seris SA, 2 MW other. also operates a power station in Ecuador that takes flared gas to make power, also has hydro and wastewood power plants in Canada and USA. Recently seems to be concentrating on expanding wind power in France. Of note: Boralex has so many windfarms because prior to spring of 2006 a government regulation in France limited the maximum size of windfarms to 15MW. 2007 buys 9X10MW pre-production projects near Windsor Ontario.
- Canadian Hydro Developers Inc.- KHD on TSX, CHDVF.PK on OTC. - 17 power plants, 350MW of wind/hydro; 114MW wind -Cowley Ridge(21.4), Cowley North(19.5), Sinnott(6.5), Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada., 67.5MW Melancthon I in Ontario in operation, planned: 132MW Melancthon II and 197.8MW Wolfe Island projects in Ontario. October 2006 buys see-Vector + portfolio of projects -24MW Fermense Project in Newfoundland. Dec 2006 buys GW Power Corp for CDN$87M-GW owns 50% of 70.5MW Soderglen Wind Plant in southern Alberta.
- CBD Energy Ltd- CBD on ASX, wind farm developer, Taralga Wind Farm, Australia.
- Central Wind Power Joint Stock Co-ticker, Vietnam, Phuong Mai 3 windfarm-14 turbines. Phuong Mai 1 & 2 in planning.
- China Wind Power International Corp-CNW on TSX.V, works in China with Daqing Longjiang Wind Power Co.
- Distributed Energy Systems Corp-DESC on NASDAQ, distributed energy systems in US, wholly owns Nortern Power, also fuel cells. 2007 deal with Morgan Stanley to finance projects for customers.
- Earth First Canada Inc-EF on TSX.V, Dokie 1 windfarm in BC, Grand Valley Project-30MW near Orangeville Ontario.
- Energy Farming International AG-invest in solarparks, windfarms at site, finance firm for wind, solar, biogas, solarthermal; also will rent your roof, 2008- invested in windfarms by see-Schneider Power.
- EnerTAD-ENR on BIT Italy, wind and waste management.
- EuroTrust A/S-EURO on London AIM, 79MW wind in Germany & Italy, 92MW under construction in Poland & Spain, 512MW in planning stages. July 2006 acquires 50.25% of European Wind Farms A/S.
- First Wind Holdings Inc-WINDY on NASDAQ, 2010- 92MW operating, 182MW under construction, NW USA, Maui, New Brunswick Canada.
- Greentech Energy Systems AS-GES on CPH, ISIN DK0010240514; investment and funding from greenfields wind projects to windfarm completion and operation. Italy, Poland. merger with Vindenergi Investments Nov 06.
- Green Wind Energy A/S-GW on CPH, windfarm developer, Germany, France, Denmark, June 2008 name change from Bodilsen Holdings A/S.
- Honiton Energy-IPO on London AIM coming. 2000km2 land rights in Inner Mongolia, China; has a 400X2MW windfarm jv (16.65%) with 33.34% Inner Mongolia North Heavy Industry Corp and 50.01% see-REpower.
- Huaneng Power International Inc-600011 on SHA, 0902 on HKSE, HNP ADR on NYSE, wind project developer.
- Indowind Energy Limited-532894 on BOM, wind farm developer and sales.
- Innergex Renewable Energy Inc-INE on TSX, December 2007 listing. Canadian windfarm co. related to Innergex Power Income Fund Trust.
- Insigma- 600797 on Shanghai. Power contractor for IW Power, a jv of UK developer Wind Prospect, US investor Tang Industries, and Insigma. building 200MW windfarm in Liaoning Province China, 50MW in 2008.
- Japan Wind Development Co Ltd- local code 2766 on TSE. Japans first alt. energy firm to go public. IPO in March 2003. 3X by July.
- Juhl Wind Co-JUHL.OB on OTCBB, community based wind power developer, 11 wind farms-117MW plus 16 in development.
- Nacel Energy-NCEN on OTC, windfarms, 80MW in Texas, Kansas, Dominican Republic.
- Novera Energy- NVE on London AIM, (also was NVE on ASX-delisted from ASX May 24, 2006), 14.5MW Mynydd Clogau windfarm in Wales. 2006-sold 2 X windfarms-9MW in Germany. owns 50% of Novera Macquarie Renewable Energy Ltd which bought out landfill assets of United Utilities Green Energy in UK. TXU owns +20% of Novera. formerly Primergy. also has a waste to energy complex in London. note that burning garbage to make power is not considered an environmental power source.
- NZ Windfarms Ltd-NWF on NZAX, 12/2005 IPO, 50% of Te Rere Hau windfarm (5 X 500kW NZ made see-Windflow 500 turbines).
- Orient Green Power Co Ltd-GREENPOWER on NSE, Oct 2010 IPO, 33MW order from Vestas, Vellappanevi Wind Farm, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Plambeck Neue Enegien AG- WKN 691032, symbol PNE, on ETR,FSE,BER,MUN,STU,DUS,HAM, ISIN DE000A0JBPG2; also has 2 bonds trading on stock market. Windpark projects on and offshore. Financial difficulties in 2005. 2006 going good- 49 turbines, 98MW in 2006, 80X5MW North Sea Gode Wind project, agreement with see Babcock + Brown Wind Partners for 300MW of turnkey projects. SSP Technology A/S Danish windblade manufacturer for co's windparks. 2008- 84 windfarms, 651MW, + 7 offshore windparks in planning-2700MW.
- Renewable Energy Generation Limited-RWE on London AIM, buys Ontario wind developer AIM PowerGen Corporation of Canada 2600MW in planning stages for C$29M. + UK co with 24 projects from see-RWE subsidiary nPower Renewables.
- Renewable Energy Holding Plc-REH on London AIM, 2005 bought 27.9MW Kesfeld windfarm in Germany, also wave energy and landfill gas.
- Schneider Power-SNE on TSX.V, was WCP.P on TSX.V, 1.6MW wind in operation, 36.5MW in advanced planning stage, 1000MW in pipeline. reverse takeover of see-Water Capital Inc to gain listing August 2008.
- SkyPower-invest at site, HSH Nordbank AG acquires minority stake in August 2006, has a windfund prospectus at site for 201MW Riviere du Loup wind project in Quebec, stakeholder in 197 MW Wolfe Island Wind Park (see Canadian Hydro Developers). see also solar.
- Solarparc AG-WKN 63523, symbol SLGX, on ERT,FSEBER,MUN,STU, DUS, HAM, ISIN DE0006352537; experienced windfarm builder. 06/2005 name change from WindWelt AG; can invest at site in farms being constructed. builds windfarms and solarparks for third parties or for self. 2006 sold it's 16% interest in Fuhlander turbines to Lavis Engineering GmbH. 30% owned by SolarWorld- that and the new concept business of putting up solar parcs probably influenced the name change.
- Tamil Nadu Newsprint + Papers Ltd-531426 on BSE, wood-free bagasse-based paper, 28MW wind.
- Theolia SA-TEO on EPA Euronext Paris. GE sells 165MW windfarms to Theolia for 1.2M shares (22%) in 2007. French co bought 58MW Almeria Spain windfarm project, RE and non-RE power, waste + sewage treatment, growing involvement in environmental projects.
- VINACONEX 6 Joint Stock Company-VC6 on HST -Hanoi Securities Trading Centre, construction co, 15MW in Phu Yen Province.
- Western Wind- WND (formerly MIM) on TSX.V, WNDEF on OTC.BB, bought Windridge windfarm in Tehachapi California, is the co's first wind energy income producing site, with a power purchase agreement to 2014 and room for 18MW additional generation. 20MW Dark Harbour Windfarm in New Brunswick (planned in production fall 2005), 15 MW Power Purchase Agreement with Arizona Public Services, windfarm planned, 15 X 1MW turbines from Mitsubishi. 120 MW deal with SoCal Edison, windfarm planned. has a MOU for 900MW of turbines from Mitsubishi for future projects. (formerly MIM on TSX.V- Minera Cortez Resources Ltd).
Companies with Wind as a component of business
- 3i-III on LSE, one of Europe's leading private equity firms, 04/2006 buys windfarm construction groups Gamesa Energia y Servicios SA and Siemsa Este SA divisions of turbine manufacturer see Corporacion Technologica Gamesa.
- Aban Offshore Ltd-523204 on BSE, offshore drill ships and jackup rigs, has 65MW wind in Tamil Nadu, India.
- Allianz-ticker, large German insurance co. 2007 buys 18MW Halenbeck and 10MW Kittlitz Windfarms from WKN Windkraft Nord AG.
- Alpiq Holding AG-ALPH on SWF, hydro/nuc/coal/renewables, to build 50MW windfarm in Bulgaria.
- Alta Gas Income Trust-ALA.UN on TSX, mostly oil & gas. subsidiary GreenWing Energy Management Ltd and GreenWing Energy Development LP have 10 proposed wind projects, 800MW, to work on.- 300MW in BC with Aeolis Wind Power Corporation, also (68%) 120MW in BC- Bear Mountain Wind Limited Partnership with Aeolis and see Peace Energy Co-op (Enercon turbines).
- Brookfield Renewable Power Inc- subsidiary of Brookfield Asset Management Inc.-BNN.A on TSX, formerly Brascan. asset management co- 70 office towers + 600MW of power production. Subsidiary Superior Wind Energy and Harmony Wind Energy in windfarm project near Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Superior awarded two projects = 150MW in Ontario. of note: owns timberlands in Brazil (Amazon?). 2007-Brookfield Renewable Power Inc. created via amalgamation of Brookfield Power Inc. and Brookfield Power Corporation.
- BT Group-BT.A on LON, BT ADR on NYSE. large communications co. to put $500M into 250MW of windfarms by 2016.
- C. Rokas SA-ROKKA on Athens, construction co. also wind. has constructed 13 windparks, 193MW.
- Cathay Merchant Group-CMQ on AMEX, Aluminium company, one part of which is Cathay Merchant Group (Shanghai) Wind Energy Co Ltd.
- ChevronTexaco- CVX on NYSE, big oil co that has put up a 22.5MW windfarm near Rotterdam with BP.
- CVC Limited-CVC on ASX, Venture Capital co in Australia with one wind investment in portfolio- Wind Corporation Australia-600kW in 2001, now planning 3 projects total 100MW.
- Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Ltd-500097 on BSE, has wind.
- Echo Energy Canada Inc.- EEI on TSX.V, formerly Pifher Resources Inc, gas wells in southern Ontario, got involved with wind farms and the RFP process in Ontario, owns 47% of Echo Power Generation Inc.-wind power project near Port Burwell Ontario, and 39% of Twenty Two Degree Energy Corp.-wind power project near Goderich Ontario, and has an agreement with see Enbridge should RFP bid be successful. see also Leader Wind Corp.
- Enbridge- ENB on TSX, NYSE, large pipeline co. sold 3 windfarm investments to Enbridge Income Fund (Sunbridge, Magrath, Chin Chute) McGrath + Chin Chute wind projects jv's with Suncor + Acciona in Alberta and Sunbridge jv with Suncor in Saskatchewan. Bought the wind power assets of see Leader Capital Corp called Leader Wind Corp Leader on success in 2006 of its 200 MW application to the Ontario RFP, also bought wind assets of (see) Echo Energy Canada Inc wind subsidiary called Echo Power Generation upon similarly successful 99MW Erie Shores RFP bid. also offers a tankless hot water heating program of rebates for restaurants that switch to energy efficiency (40% energy savings).
- ExxonMobil, not much interested in wind or solar, does have, with Shell, the Cutter project in North Sea- 1st offshore gas field powered by wind & solar.
- Ford to put up 3 turbines to feed factory at Dagenham near London.
- Goldman Sachs-GS on NYSE, one of America's large investment banks. owns 5% of see Gamesa, 20% of see Nordex, bought windfarm developer Zilkha Renewable Energy-now called Horizon Wind Energy-has 4000MW under construction. 2007 sold Horizon to EDP-Energias de Portugal. also, unrelated but amazing, via Goldman Sachs Charitable Fund bought and donated a 680,000 acre nature reserve in Tierra del Fuego, Chile.
- Great Lakes Hydro Income Fund- GLH.UN on TSX, hydro + wind. July 09 see-Brookfield sells hydro + wind assets to GLH.UN.
- GreenHunter Wind Energy LLC-GRH on AMEX, windfarm developer, biodiesel, biomass.
- Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Ltd- 530001 on BOM, large chemical co, 21MW windfarm with Suzlon.
- Gujarat NRE Coke Ltd-512579 on BSE, large coke co. March 2006 had 27.5MW wind.
- Kore Holdings Inc.-KORH on OTC, subsidiary Arcadian Renewable Power owns an Altamonte Pass windfarm with 1000 turbines from the '80s, not currently running, and associated leasehold on 4000 acres through 2036.
- Lanco Infratech-532778 on BSE, subsidiary Lanco Wind to be wind project developer, operator, turbine manufacturer.
- Leader Capital Corp- LDR on TSX.V, subsidiary Leader Wind Corp plans 99MW windfarm in Pt. Elgin, Ont in 50/50 jv with see Echo Power Generation Inc. 2006-Leader Wind Corp sold to see Enbridge on success of wind project proposal in Ontario RFP call. will continue to work on finding and developing more early stage wind projects.
- Madras Cement- no web, code 500260 on BSE, cement and glass, operates a wind plant to power its operations.
- Maharashtra Seamless Ltd-500265 on BSE, makes seamless pipe, ERW pipe, has 7MW wind at Satara Maharashtra.
- MuniMae-MMA on NYSE, Municipal Mortgage + Equity, real estate and financial services market giant, acquires Renewable Ventures LLC a 3rd party financer and operator of RE generation facilities mostly rooftop solar. plans to sell ERC's. 2008 windfarm development.
- NEXEN-NKY on TSX, NYSE, large oil company with commendible practices, 70MW Soderglen Wind Power Project 10 km south of Ft. McLeod. no info on site, google Soderglen.
- Nissan-7201 on TSE, NSANY ADR on NYSE, has built a 4MW-6 turbine windfarm at its Sunderland UK plant.
- Northland Power Income Fund-NPI.UN on TSX, 3 X windfarms (75.5MW) and 3 X cogen plants(approx 277MW), wind portion includes the 54MW Mont Millar wind project near Murdochville and 04/2006 bought two (21.5MW total) windfarms in Germany. see also solar.
- Panteniki-PTEX on ATH, construction co, including wind.
- Plutonic Power Corporation-PCC on TSX, PUOPF.PK on OTC.PK, 2009 buys Dokie Ridge wind project in BC, also has run-of-river hydro projects- 196MW East Toba River + Montrose Creek Project, May 2007 project investors include see- GE, Manulife Financial. Has 4 new projects 108MW at Bute Inlet.
- PTT PLC-PTT on Bangkok, to build 30MW windfarm in Thailand with see-EGCO, Wegco, and see-EUROS.
- Sapec S.A.>-SAPE on EBR Belgium, industrial holding company. Naturener division bought Ingetur aerogenerator co from Acciona, 2007 bought Energylogics, a windfarm developer.
- Savita Chemicals Ltd-524667 on BSE, petroleum related products, has 16MW wind.
- Semapa-SEMAM on ELI (Lisbon), cement in Portugal, Tunesia, Angola, pulp & paper, mini hydro + wind in Portugal, Spain, France, Brazil. Hope the pulp & paper bit isn't Amazon cut. sold Enersis stake to see-Babcock + Brown Dec 05.
- Sprott Power Corp.- SPZ on TSX, Jan 2011 merger with see-First Asset PowerGen Fund, buys 100% of see-Sky Generation Inc with 3X wind projects in Ontario (13 turbines, 21.6MW), buys Amherst Wind Power LP in Nova Scotia 30MW project (15X Suzlon S97 2.1MW turbines), plus has 140MW projects in Alberta.
- Suncor-SU on TSX, NYSE, large oilsands co, 4 windfarms- early on invested in Northern Power, has 50/50 jv with Enbridge in Sunbridge Wind Power Program at Gull Lake, Saskatchewan.(17 turbines- 11MW), and jv with Enbridge and Acciona in Magrath Windfarm in Alberta (20 turbines- 30MW). Magrath windfarm built with jv with EHN (2006 bought by see Acciona) of Spain and Enbridge. 76MW windfarm at Ripley Ontario a 50/50 jv with Acciona, 30MW (20 X GE 1.5) Chin Chute near Taber Alberta openning October 2006 jv with Enbridge and Acciona.
- Taihei Dengyo Kaisho Ltd-1968 on TSE, constructs steelmills, petro-chemical plants, windfarms.
- Teck Resources-TCK on NYSE, 30% stake in see-Suncor's 88MW Wintering Hills Wind Power Project.
- Terna SA-TERNA on Athens, construction co. with 5 windparks at end of 2004. member of GEK Group.
- Total-FP on Euronext Paris, TOT ADR on NYSE, big French oil co, 12MW windfarm at Dunkirk since 2003, with RWE is building 90MW Belmantais windfarm in Aveyron (France's first bigger windfarm since lifting the 15MW size restriction), also has quality solar production (83MW/yr).
- TransCanada-TRP on TSX, TRP on NYSE, 62% of Cartier Wind Energy which has six wind projects planned in Quebec- 739.5MW, $1.2B. 03/2006 construction begins on 109.5MW Baie des Sables project. major business is pipelines (41,000 km) and 6700MW of- coal and Bruce Power-nuclear.
- Unison- code 018000 on KOSDAQ, bridge and road construction related equipment co, earthquake shock absorbers for construction, also has 40MW YoungDuk windfarm, 98MW Gangwon windfarm- September 2006 online (engineering by Marubeni Corp of Japan). planning to manufacture a 750kW turbine.
- note: many owner/operators such as Acciona/EHN and FPL are also do the Engineering/Service for windfarms
- Air Energy S.A.-AIR on EBR, ISIN: BE0003865822, builds and operates windparks, 3 in Belgium + 4 under construction, Dutch utility Eneco buys 71% on March 27, 2008.
- Alternate Energy Solutions Inc-prospectus at site for Michigan residents. has wind measuring service.
- AMEC- AMEC on London, worlds' 3rd largest engineering firm. Bought Border Wind-built Blyth Wind Project w/ Shell, plans to build windfarms worldwide-, 47MW Skye Windfarm, 234 turbine, 702MW Isle of Lewis for (see) British Energy.
- Ballast Nedam-BALNE on AMS- Euronext Amsterdam. engineering. helped build Egmond aan Zee Offshore Windfarm, together with Evelop building the 300MW Scheveningen Buiten offshore windfarm. Evelop, a subsidiary of Econcern, has 2200MW offshore projects in planning stages. Econcern has DanwinD BV offshore direct drive wind turbine.
- borawind AG-5BW on FSE, windfarm acquisition, sale, development. Consulting and other services related to renewable energy. Swiss based.
- China Wind Power Group Ltd.-0182 on HKSE, investment holding co, engineering and construction of windfarms.
- Conergy-WKN 604002, symbol CGY, ISIN DE0006040025, on FSE, ETR, STU, MUN, BER, DUS, HAM; builds windfarms, also has new SWT-Small Wind Turbines for the distributed power market, SWT6000AC, and SWT7500DC.
- Deere + Co.-DE on NYSE, on Chicago, WKN850866 on FSE, wind farm consulting business-John Deere Wind Energy- for farmers in USA. deal with see Suzlon. 2007 expands wind energy business into Canada.
- Ebara-6361 on TSE, built Akita Araya Wind Farm, 6.8MW, subsidiary Eco-Power Co. Ltd has built 103+ MW by mid 2004, manufacturer of see Fuhrlander-Pfleiderer gearless turbines, also pumps and waste management systems. Corporate philosophy is a zero emissions concept. see also solar.
- Energiekontor AG- WKN 531350, symbol EKT, ISIN DE0005313506 on FSE, ETR, BER, MUN, STU, DUS, HAM; has built 64 windfarms, 450MW. German wind park builder. One of the hottest IPO's for 2000. can invest in windparks and solarparks and wind or solar funds on site. is working on Offshore-Windpark Nordergrunde.
- Enro AG-ENO on FSE, project management co, mostly biomass, includes W+S, 2007 controlling stake acquired by see-Thenergo, a subsidiary of see-Theolia.
- Epuron-part of see-Conergy, invest in projects at site, has 673MW of wind projects in process in Italy, France, Greece, South America.
- Fluor-FLR on NYSE, 500MW Greater Gabbard Offshore Winds Ltd-140 turbines jv with Airtricity, also 341 turbine London Array, 100 turbine Thanet project.
- GENIVAR Income Fund-GNV.UN on TSX, engineering co to develop 4 BC wind projects for see-Finavera. note tax issues of trust co's in Canada.
- HITZ-7004 on TSE, Hitachi Zosen Co. engineering firm -working on a concept of an Offshore Floating-type Wind Turbine Generating System, development of a full scale system is underway.
- JFE Holdings Inc-5411 on TSE, 2008 to buy 35% of see Hitachi-Zosen.
- Kinden Corp- Code 1944 on Tokyo, integrated systems engineering in fields of communication, energy, and environment. built the 11 X 1 MW MHI Kusu Windfarm.
- Lanco Infratech-532778 on BSE, subsidiary Lanco Wind to be wind project developer, operator, turbine manufacturer.
- Mitsui Engineering + Shipbuilding Co.-7003 on TSE, has wind involvement.
- Norsk Hydro-NHY ADR on NYSE, 2002 windpark in Masoy, northern Norway 16 X N80 Nordex = 40MW, experimenting with floating turbine foundations for water depths of 200-300m. Current windfarms are at 30m max. also getting into solar.
- Plambeck Neue Enegien AG- now see- PNE Wind AG. was WKN 691032, symbol PNE, on ETR,FSE,BER,MUN,STU,DUS,HAM, ISIN DE000A0JBPG2; also has 2 bonds trading on stock market. Windpark projects on and offshore. Financial difficulties in 2005. 2006 going good- 49 turbines, 98MW in 2006, 80X5MW North Sea Gode Wind project, agreement with see Babcock + Brown Wind Partners for 300MW of turnkey projects. SSP Technology A/S Danish windblade manufacturer for co's windparks. 2008- 84 windfarms, 651MW, + 7 offshore windparks in planning-2700MW.
- PNE Wind AG, PNE3 on Frankfurt
- Quanta Services Inc.- PWR on NYSE, electrical power infrastructure.
- Thenergo-ALTHE on EPA, subsidiary of see-Theolia, german holding co. CPH projects, biomass, wind, 2007- acquires controling stake in see-EnroAG.
- TRC Companies Inc-TRR on NYSE, environmental services co, auditing, assessments, licensing, technical services for wind/hydro.
- Wind7 AG WKN 526640, DE0005266407, on auserborsen (over the counter) trades. windpark engineering and administration. not traded much. 7 windparks to invest in.
- Yurtec Corp-1934 on Tokyo, engineering services, wind research.
Go To HOME PAGE
Wind by Country,
Small Wind Co's,
Wind Tech Explained.
This page last updated August 2008.